Innovation. Diversification. Inspiration.
Broome is a melting pot of industry with many successful businesses embracing the opportunities of this constantly evolving region, and succeeding. The 2019 Broome Small Business Awards aims to unearth these operators, offer recognition to their amazing achievements, and inspire growth of small to medium enterprise in the region.
The winners of the Broome Small Business Awards will receive significant recognition through a publicity campaign played out on television, print, radio and social media.
Click HERE to read the benefits of applying for a Small Business Award.
ENTRIES HAVE NOW CLOSED!!
Friday 10 May 2019 – Broome winners announced at awards gala evening
Join us for a night of celebration!! Click HERE for more information.
- Award trophy and certificate displayable in your business premises
- Acknowledgement on telvision with a TVC campaign on GWN7
- Opportunity to promote your business in the Voice of Broome on Spirit 102.9FM
- Free membership and/or renewal with the Broome Chamber of Commerce & Industry
Home Based Business
The business is operated either at home (you carry out most of the work at your home) or from home (and business does not own or rent any premises other than your home)
Hertz Kimberley Award for Franchise Business
The business must be part of a franchise and carry out all business activities in-line with the requirements of their franchise agreement.
Nyamba Buru Yawuru Award for Aboriginal Business
The business must have at least 51% Aboriginal ownership and be established for commercial enterprise.
Australia’s North West Award for Tourism Business
This award recognises the outstanding achievement by an organisation in promoting or servicing the Broome tourism industry. Businesses can be Tour Operators, Tourist Attractions or Accommodation providers.
Kimberley Small Business Award for Start-up Business
The business must have been trading for a maximum of two years at the time of applying to your local awards.
Buru Energy Award for Community Engagement
The business must be able to show that it has made a significant contribution to its local community. The award is to recognise a business whose community involvement is not the actual focus of its operations; it is about acknowledging the additional efforts made to support the local community.
Kimberley Port Authority Award for Business with 0-4 Employees
The business must employ fewer than five staff members (full-time or equivalent) at the time of your application for awards.
INPEX-led Ichthys LNG Award for Business with 5-10 Employees
The business must employ five to ten staff members (full-time or equivalent) employees at the time of applying for awards.
Shakespeare Total Financial Solutions Award for Business with 11-20 Employees
The business must employ 11 to 20 staff members (full-time or equivalent) employees at the time of applying for awards.
Australian Business Consulting & Solutions Award for Customer Service Excellence
A brand new award, we’re looking for a business who has demonstrated a commitment to servicing their customers. The business must provide case studies where they’ve gone above-and-beyond to look after their customers. Bonus points awarded for members of the Broome Code of Service Excellence
Horizon Power Innovation Award
The Horizon Power Innovation Award will acknowledge role models who through their innovation, leadership and driving force, pave the way for others to follow. This Award is to recognise innovative solutions, practices, new methods or technologies, engaging new trends or new frameworks to improve business processes and outputs.
Shell Prelude Award for Non Profit Organisation
A brand new category, this award recognises business practice within a non profit organisation. The award is open to all Broome-Based non profit branches with fewer than 20 FTE’s.
Working Together Employer of the Year
Introduced by the Broome Chamber’s ‘Working Together’ program connecting business and young aboriginal people in the workplace. All businesses who are Employers of Choice and display an appreciation of aboriginal culture in their workplace are encouraged to apply.
7 West Media Kimberley Award for Business Person of the Year
Outstanding achievement and contribution to the regional by an individual, usually over many years
Broome International Airport Business of the Year Award
The premier award will be the presentation of the overall business of the Year Award. This award will be selected from the winners of the general business awards
(businesses are invited to apply for more than one award should they fit several categories)
Entries are to include an Official Entry Form and Selection Criteria. Click HERE to download official Entry Form
Winners of previous year’s awards are eligible to re-enter, however should they win 3 consecutive years in the single category they will be moved to the ‘hall of fame’ and will not be eligible for the subsequent 3 years.
For members of the BCCI entry is FREE. Non-Members will be charged an administration fee of $200 + gst to enter the Awards.
All nominees will receive FREE entry for one (1) business representatives to attend the Awards evening on Friday 10 May 2019 at The Mangrove Hotel.
The application document must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Friday 19th April 2019.
Aside from the Non Profit category, the awards are open exclusively to businesses who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- The business resides in the Broome Shire and will have no more than 20 fulltime or equivalent employees at the close of entries on 19th April 2019. You also have to meet category employee limits.
- The business is not a publicly listed company, a club, co-operative or non-profit organisation.
- The business is Australian owned and the owner(s) are responsible for all key management decisions. It must have an ABN.
- The business will have been in operation for at least 12 months at the time of entry into the local awards.
NOT SURE WHAT YOUR FULL TIME EQUIVALENT STAFF BRACKET IS?
Judges are looking for demonstrated quality in submissions and base their decision on the documentation provided. Supporting material such as financial statements or ratios, brochures and samples should be included where you believe it will assist the submission for outstanding achievement in the category.
It should be noted that the judging process may or may not include a site visit.
When writing a submission keep the following in mind:
- clearly communicate the complexities of the business.
- keep it clear and concise.
- show why your business should be the Business of the Year in your chosen category, what makes it special?
- tell a story and capture the business character.
- make sure the format is clear and easy to read.
- answer the questions as asked.
To make the submission easy to read it’s a good idea to do the following:
- use size 11 font.
- use clear headings.
- keep paragraphs short. (2 to 3 sentences)
- for the majority of copy use an easily read font such as Arial or Times New Roman.
- make sure the document is well spaced and not cramped on the page.
- use bullet points.
- stick to a maximum of five pages.
The closing date is 5.00pm Friday 19th April 2019.
The following will need to be included:
- The official entry form attached, completed and signed.
- Award Submission. No more than five (5) pages.
- Photos supplied in high resolution JPEG or TIF format of the business owners and/or business owners with staff, products and premises. (NB: these photos may be reproduced and incorporated as part of the multimedia production and printed material for the award ceremony.)
- Business logos supplied in high resolution JPEG, format.
For further information or to discuss applying for an award please contact:
Elaine Jolliffe – 08 9193 5553 – email@example.com